Applicants must submit the appropriate building plans and information to the Municipal Office and receive development approval to ensure that the construction project meets all municipal zoning bylaws and/or is accepted in principal.
Once the building project is approved in principal by the municipality, the applicant must provide the required plans and information for a plan review to ensure the proposed construction conform to Saskatchewan building standards.
Property owner will be required to pay a building deposit in the amount of $2000.00 with the Town Office at the time of applying for a building permit. The Town will refund the deposit upon the completion of the building Permit.
Water Meter Requirements
The homeowner is responsible to have a licenced plumber come pickup a water meter at the Town Office and install it. Please notify the Town Office at 305-345-2332 two weeks prior to move in date. Call the Town Office to arrange to have the meter verified and sealed.
What is a Development Permit and Do I need one?
A Development Permit is required Prior to any development. It ensures that the development conforms with the Zoning Bylaw.
When is a Building Permit required?
A Building Permit is Required for: new building construction, garages/carports, decks(not built on grade), mobile homes, basement development in a dwelling, renovation, alteration or addition to an existing building, fireplaces, wood stoves, and heaters, change of use occupancy of a building.
If you are building a deck or landing:
- Any deck or landing that is more than 1' above grade requires a building permit, does not matter the size.
- Any deck or landing that is less than 1' below grade , but exceeds 100 square feet requires a permit.
- Any replacing of a old deck to a new one still needs a permit.
You are not required a building permit for: Fences, driveways and parking lots, sidewalks, general household maintenance.
What does a building permit cost?
The building permit fee will be based on the fees charged by the service provider for the plan review, field inspections, and enforcement services for construction, erection, placement, alteration, repair, renovation or reconstruction of a building.
Do I need a permit to demolish a building?
Yes! A permit is required for demolish. The fee for the permit is $25.00. As per bylaw the Town of Pense requires a $500.00 demolition deposit fee. Here is the application for a permit to demolish or remove a building. For more information please see Bylaw No 2/2015 A Bylaw Respecting Building
What is the process if I want to move a building into your Municipality?
Here is all the information you need for a Pre-Move and Post-Move Inspections.
How does the Permit Approval Process work?
- Apply for a development permit.
- After the development permit is approved, a building permit is taken out. Complete the review checklist and attach to your application.
- After submitted to the Town Office, it will then be forward it to the building inspector. Once the information is reviewed by the building inspector, the inspector will return a copy of the plans to the Town administration, then reviews the documents and notifies the applicant that the permit is ready for pickup and permit fee is due upon pickup.
What could happen if I don't apply for one?
If it comes to our attention something was built without a permit, the appropriate measures will be to make sure the proper permit(s) are taken out and enforced.
If a structure is built, renovated or added on,etc without a required permit, there is a good possibility that it could affect you if you decide to sell your property. We would have to inform whomever is in charge of the sale. This could delay your sale.